Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Playing Favorites

As a writer and an English teacher, I'm sure that some folks assume that my favorite authors hail from antiquity: according to them, Chaucer, Shakespeare, Cather, and Poe should be my go-to reads.  I'm hesitant to break the bubble of assumption, but here it goes.

I love Maud Hart Lovelace.  Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Lois Lenski.  Sydney Taylor.  And the list goes on.  Give me a 'feel good' book over a classic any day!  It's what makes me happy, keeps me steady, gives me purpose.

Before you 'poo-poo' the idea of books creating the ultimate in happiness, consider this:  What book- quickly - reminds you of childhood?   Find a copy and read it.  Read it aloud.  To yourself.  To your children.

And relive the magic of becoming one with the story.



No comments:

Post a Comment