Saturday, May 31, 2014

Something for Everyone

It's no secret that I adore kitschy writers: Agatha Christie, Georgette Heyer, and M. C. Beaton, just to name a few.   My taste in books- when I actually have time to read for pleasure- are the sort that carry me away quickly and plunge me straight into intrigue.  Granted, that's not everyone's fave, and that's okay.  In fact, I was discussing this very thing just this morning with someone whose taste in literature (and in life) is classic.  Take a look at part of our conversation:


I'm partial to naturalistic writing and dialogue. Like Hemingway, who sometimes was meta. Most writers' styles are based on situational fanaticism where they feel each scene has to be played with sharp words, head tilts and secrets. Very cinematic stuff. I say keep the characters as real people with real words.   Granted, the adventure genre is based on exaggerated characters in exaggerated situations all coming together. But even Dos Passos and Cormac McCarthy found ways to humanize stories. I say read "Blood Meridian" or "No Country For Old Men" as examples. I do like what's at stake but don't get ahead too early with big big ideas. Readers will want a huge payoff.   EL Doctorow is another good one. And for nonfiction try Chuck Klosterman, especially "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs." Or David Sedaris, especially "Me Talk Pretty One Day." Both are easy reads and very fluid. Language is observational.


And this, dear readers, has me intrigued.  And I'd love to hear from you!  What are your thoughts on literature styles?   Feel free to tweet me!  @mccaslin_dane  or post your thoughts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment