Saturday, April 19, 2014

Paper or Digital?

I've long been a proponent of books:  Hardcover, paperback...and digital.  Yes, I said 'digital'.  In fact, I'm delighted that my books are offered on Nook, Kindle, and iTunes as well as in a more traditional paperback version.  Any way you slice it, it all promotes reading, and that is the ultimate goal, isn't it?

Anyone who knows me knows that I love linguistics, enjoy breaking down words to find the origin.  I did that with 'digital' and realized that anything that included 'digit' in the word was related to our word for fingers.  (The Latins included the toes in that meaning as well, but I am not going to operate my iPhone with my toes.)  Reading a book digitally requires manipulation, almost like turning the pages in a book.  This has changed my view on the relatively new world of libraries - both personal and public- being kept electronically.

For those of you who need to hold the paper specimen, please feel free to buy my books on Amazon or at Barnes and Noble.  Or you can do what I've done:  I've got the Kindle and iTunes copies on my iPhone.  And the 'real' copies at home.

Whatever you choose, keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment