Saturday, February 1, 2014

Blame the Dame

I love a great mystery, and I lay the blame squarely at the feet of the very talented Dame Agatha Christie.  I picked up 'Hickory Dickory Death' when I was very young - eight or nine - and was instantly hooked.  My friends read the Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden series: I followed Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot through the English countryside and watched in amazement as they put clues together and 'outed' the killer.

I devoured every book she wrote, some several times, and then moved onto writers such as PD James and Elizabeth Peters.  I got hooked on Judith Cutler and Val McDermid.  And Ian Rankin.  And the ever fabulous Louise Penny.  My favorite type of mystery, though, remains the quintessential 'cozy', a la Christie's venerable style.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment