Monday, February 10, 2014

Superlatives Can Be Way Over the Top

Okay- a cheesy title for this blog, but I wanted to make a point:  sometimes the best descriptors are the ones left unsaid.   If I never hear another athlete/actor/singer/writer called 'the best in his/her field' it won't be too soon.  How can so many folks be the best?  And is it okay to leave the superlatives to the imagination?  I think the answer is 'yes'.

I remember asking a class of freshmen to identify a  hyperbole in John Steinbeck's 'The Pearl'.  In just a few minutes they were raising their hands, wanting to know if I could show them where it might be.  My response?  Steinbeck did not feel the need to exaggerate his characters or the plot, instead choosing to let the imagination of the reader supply it.  And that's not a bad idea.

Writers are often told to be as descriptive as possible.  Wouldn't it be more challenging for both the author and the reader if we followed Steibeck's lead?  Just something to think about on this Monday.

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment