Sunday, February 9, 2014

Setting the- well, the setting

I'm still in an Olympic Games state of mind, and I hope that you have been able to see some of the events.  This morning, though, the coverage seems to be focused on the temperature (fairly warm) and the various courses for snow events (too difficult or not challenging enough).  As a writer, I tend to translate the world around me into writer's terms, and I found myself thinking about settings.

For writers, the setting can become a character in its own right.  Think about Daphne du Maurier's novels - in particular 'Rebecca' - or the works of John Steinbeck.  The landscapes and buildings and even the weather had personality and added depth to the plot.  It can be challenging, as some of the Olympic courses are, to give life to something inanimate, but when you 'nail it', it's as invigorating as winning the gold.

When I write, I want to gallop through the plot, trying to keep up with the characters.  This blog is as much for me as it is for you:  Slow down and let the setting come to life.  And that's not a bad idea for today- slow down, focus on the now, and enjoy your own 'setting'.

And keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment