Saturday, March 15, 2014

A New Perspective

Today was nearly perfect here in the great AZ:  clear blue skies, temps in the lower 70's, and lots of sunshine.  We shared the weather with quite a few folks at the local park, and while I was there, I got a new perspective.  Literally.  I fancy myself a photographer (only for Instagram and FB) and I wanted to take a picture that defined the day.  I did and I liked the result.  I decided to move in closer for another shot- and saw that I'd also photographed a pair of doves nestled into the foilage of one of the trees.   If I hadn't purposely looked for that new perspective, I would have missed them.

Writing can be the same as photography.  Changing a character's response is akin  to using a different lens.  Maybe you'd like to get into your character's mind a bit more, or maybe you want to see what's going on around them more clearly.  Either way, getting that new perspective will allow you to see things in an altogether different light.

And maybe you'll find something nestled inside the plot that surprises you.  Try it!  And keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment