Monday, March 3, 2014

Happily Ever After

One thing I enjoy about being a writer of mysteries is that the reader expects to find murder and mayhem within the pages.  Unlike other genres, where a happily ever after ending is status quo, mysteries are allowed to expose the darker side of life.

Of course, even the mystery genre has its rosy side.  Really.  Those are called 'cozy mysteries', with an amateur sleuth who manages to solve the murder or murders without many resources, and where the endings are wrapped up nicely with the sleuth getting accolades and the perp getting his (or her) just desserts.  Dame Agatha Christie had the formula down pat. (At Bertram's Hotel is one of my faves - check it out.)

Why do I write 'cozies'?  Because I can give my readers the best of all possible literary worlds all in one book.  And for the bargain-conscious among us, that is one serious deal

Keep reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment