Monday, March 31, 2014

How Come I Know What I Mean and You Don't?

I've just completed another round of editing with David, my eyes-over-the-shoulder who catches all kinds of errors and leaps of logic in my writing.   I want to type in the margins that I knew exactly what I meant when I wrote that!  How come he can't understand it as well?  The simple answer is this: We cannot expect others to catch our meaning by osmosis.  It would be a neat trick, of course, but it's not gonna happen. Not on this plane of existence.

Relationships are that way as well.  In the workplace, in our families, in our friendships:  If we don't speak up and explain or correct or enlighten, those around us might not understand us.  And this, unfortunately, leads to misunderstandings and rifts in our life that in turn become holes.  So, keep talking.

And keep writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment