Sunday, March 23, 2014

Finding My Way

I'm new to the world of self-promotion.  I know - sounds implausible, but that's the truth.  Learning the ins and outs of networking with fellow mystery writers - particularly those of Sisters in Crime - has been eye-opening, to say the least.  What I've discovered is this:  We are truly a 'band of sisters and misters'.  There has been nothing but outstretched hands and lots of shared tips about the mystery writing business, and I've been very, very grateful for all of the help.

In a society where success is held in high esteem, those who are the most successful tend to grease the steps behind them:  Not to make it easier for those coming behind, but to make it harder for them to climb the same ladder.  Not so with Sisters in Crime (a big shout out to the Desert Sleuths!).  One day I will be able to return the favor.  And I will.  I like to think of us mystery writers as one long chain that extends from the past into the future, and every link in that chain is held together by the links on either side.

Alright - enough of the mushiness.  I'll wrap up my thoughts by telling you that you absolutely must read the books by Elaine Viets and Donis Casey.  And by Louise Penny.  These women, true successes in the world of writing, have been kindness incarnate to me.  Check out my interview with Donis Casey at www.danemccaslin.co - she's amazing!

For all of you writers out there, keep trying and reaching and writing.  I'll be here to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment