Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring Solstice

I do love Spring:  longer days, but not too long, and warmer temps, but not yet the need for asbestos shoes.  Even the season's name indicates anticipation: we are all given the chance to 'spring' forward and find new ideas, new paths, new beginnings.

This is exactly the way I feel when I begin a new manuscript.  I am filled with anticipation as I meet new characters and watch them interact in the plot, and I'm usually surprised at how things turn out no matter how much planning I've put into it.  Like tightly curled buds ready to open, my books tend to unfold in their own way.  And I like that.  I've tried forcing a plot into life and the result is stilted and not worth reading.  Letting it develop on its own is a better plan.

Keep writing!  And don't be afraid to let your own plot develop naturally.  The results will be beautiful.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment