Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Magic Carpets

Teaching teens - in the age range of 14 to 16 - can be incredibly revealing; their perspective of the world, no matter how much I try to peel away the layers of security and outright ignorance, is very, very limited.

Take, for instance, the ongoing protests in Kiev.  I asked today how many were following the news about this and I was rewarded with 32 blank faces, all staring at me as though I'd suddenly sprouted horns.  If I instead had inquired about the latest dance craze, they would have talked over one another in their eagerness to share.

Sigh. I wish sometimes that I could live in such a cocoon.

I shared this with you because of my favorite books.  I know - that's seems like a non sequitor, but it's not. I have my own form of escapism when I reach for tried and true friends such as the 'Betsy-Tacy' series or my dog-eared copy of "The Cottage at Bantry Bay", children's books that saw me through many a long day. I call them my 'feel good' books, and that's what they are:  My own magic carpet away from ungraded essays or writer's block or whatever happens to be plaguing me at the moment.

Escapism can be a lifesaver, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment