Sunday, March 2, 2014

Reading Over My Shoulder

I have a confession:  I tend to get irritated when someone reads over my shoulder.

That's  probably not something a writer should admit to, especially when one's success comes from allowing someone to do that very thing, but there it is.  I suppose there is somewhat of a difference: My editor - an awesome person whose eyes catch the mistakes and dropped storylines and who keeps me on the straight and narrow- reads from a distance.  Still, it is my writing that he is reading, and I'd like to believe that I am able to produce perfection.  On my own. The first time, every time.  This , of course, is far from possible.

Which brings me to my current thought:  Life needs editors.  We all need another pair of eyes to watch us, to make sure we are progressing and perfecting ourselves.  Sometimes they look like a dear friend, or a parent, or - as in the case of a writer- someone whose vision of us is based on blunt honesty.

I guess having someone standing near my shoulder, watching out for me, is a good thing after all.

Keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment