Thursday, March 27, 2014

Spring Cleaning

I love what Louise Penny, the amazing author, said about editing: "Reading and re-writing. Definitely familiarizing myself with the story and the threads and themes so far. Doing a little 'cleaning up' and simplifying. But not too much. I find I really only know what a book's about when I finish the first draft. The subsequent drafts are all about keeping what feeds those themes, and getting rid of stuff that just clutters and obscures." If anyone should understand this process, it has to be her!

I like to think that I can apply this process to myself as well.  I want to make sure that the loose ends are cleaned up, that I don't have reoccurring issues that need to be resolved.  I like the idea of getting rid of 'stuff that clutters and obscures'.  Emotional, physical, spiritual detoxing!  

One method that had never failed me is list-making.  I write down things that I need to fix or remove, and this can apply to all areas of life.  This gives me a clear picture of what I need to work on...or let go.

If you have extraneous 'stuff', spring clean!  You'll feel better.  And keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment