Thursday, March 13, 2014

Better Readers and All That Jazz

As an educator, I have often heard - and said - that 'better readers make better writers'.  And it's true. According to research, those who consistently score highest on the SAT's critical reading, writing, and vocabulary portions are confirmed readers.  They were read to as children, had access to books at home, and chose to read for pleasure rather than turn to technology for entertainment.

I mention this because of something I was asked recently by an acquaintance:  "How can I become a better writer?"  I asked him how much he read and he laughed.  "Just the back of the cereal box and the instructions for my video games."  You can imagine my answer.

If you want to write something that others want to read, you need to read as well- and something more than game instructions.  Start with a book that you might have missed in childhood.  I recommend those written by Lois Lenski and Laura Ingalls Wilder and Beverly Cleary.  Try Maude Hart Lovelace as well.  Check out the series written by Madeleine L'Engle.  I could go and on - the amount of wonderful books waiting for you out there is almost infinite.

Start reading.  Then you can write.  And it will be worth reading.  Promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment