Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Signs are Everywhere

I have a habit that I'm almost embarrassed to admit:  I look for signs.  Lucky signs are everywhere if you know what you're looking for.  Take today's date. It's March 11, 2014.  3-11-14.  When I saw that today, I quickly recognized the 'sign':  3 + 11 = 14.  To my abstract  mind (okay - to my really abstract mind) that meant something.  What, I'm not yet sure.  But it's a sign. Maybe I'll win the lottery.  And maybe I'll solve the little issue I've been working on in the latest Jo Anderson book, Sweet Death.

I like to add 'signs' to my manuscripts as well.  When I am peopling a story, I choose names for them that mean something to me, names that belong to folks whose presence in my life has brought me blessings and love.  I use street names where something momentous took place, and I've designed characters' houses that are filled with items that are special to me.  These are the 'signs' in my life that have helped guide me.  I know - it sounds odd. But I think that people and things and places don't appear in my life without a reason.

Keep writing.  And keep looking for your own signs. They're there.




No comments:

Post a Comment